Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Humanity


I stand ;
The stalwart apple
roots deep and nourished
My frame strained with final fruiting
flourished full and heavy with sweet fruits


My leaves fall as invitations;
I am here for you yet still
before the cold


But no one comes to shelter in my canopy
or pick sweetness from my branches
and my apples rot only for the butterflies

No seedlings of mine have rooted
and I know there are no more buds to
tickle spring noses.
I ask;
Can trees feel pain ?


And from my timber
reverberates God
who answers :

"Yes ;
But you are not a tree.
I have given you legs to walk toward
and arms to hold
and a heart to love
and eyes to marvel.
It is but for you
to use them
and reach out."

-Jerry Wendt

2 comments:

bobK said...

Georgia O'Keefe created many paintings of apples and apple trees - were you inspired by an O'Keefe painting?
it is beautiful!

Jerry said...

Nope, the stuff just eminates from "that place" inside. The art came after from a web browse.